Re: "byte-code: IMAP error: STATUS unknown option" after authentication

At Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:12:25 -0400,
Thomas Narten wrote:
> El-get has the feature that it invokes git (and who knows what else?),
> so if you don't have a bunch of other stuff setup and working already,
> it barfs, sometimes silently. I tried installing Wl using el-get on 4
> different systems, and had success on only one of them, so I've
> learned the hard way. (Ubuntu is where I had sucess, so you got lucky
> in trying that approach.)

Yeah, I could see pretty quickly that el-get was going to keep its eye on a whole lot of packages, so I removed most of the configuration from my .emacs. Now I have it initialize only the wanderlust package... we'll see how that goes.

Now that it's installed semi, flim and apel, it might be feasible for me to go back to the git repository. I might have to do that anyway, to see if I can hack around the UID search problem that I reported in another e-mail.

> We all agree that decent installation documentation is lacking, and I
> plan to write up my experience once I'm sure I can replicate the
> steps.

No argument here! Speaking just for myself, I could have handled building from git, but Ubuntu 12.04's packages for semi and flim are older than the ones specified in the INSTALL file. If I had more time in the morning, I might have done some web searches, but it was a bit much at that point.

In any case, I can read and send e-mail using wanderlust, although summary buffers don't update the message statuses properly (other e-mail thread).

hjh