Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

On Feb 15, 2008, at 3:51 AM, Stig Venaas wrote:
[...]
If all of this is coming from one server farm, all is well and good. But, what if (like Joost) these streams are being provided by P2P ? Each new P2P node would have this delay, which will definitely hinder fast start and may caP2P scales well for fast start, as you can have more nodes send stuff in the beginning, but this would destroy that advantage as well. So, people looking to replace CDN's with P2P meshes for streaming would probably not like this.

I have seen various plans for in-line advertising where ads come from different IP addresses than the regular stream, and this would also mess that up, although there might be engineering work-arounds to that.

Right. I'm with you. After posting, I also started thinking of various
cases where having source addresses within some common prefix/location
for all the streams would be difficult.

Also, you consider not just unicast, but SSM multicast (would every SSM group join be delayed which the SSM unicast address is being resolved ?).

Yes, I expect that would be the case, unless the mapping already was in
place.

Note, too, that many simple web pages have in them pieces from other servers and other IP addresses (banner ads are frequently done this way) and so this could put a real performance hit on web page load times in the real world.

Yes, I can think of some ways to reduce the problem, but anyway, I think
it's good to study such scenarios.

Stig

Regards
Marshall

I'm sure there are others and I'd be interested in understanding their
constraints, but I imagine those applications are in a distinct minority.

I'm thinking of trying to study some particular application, or DNS
resolve implementation or something, myself. If I find some time to
spare...

Stig

Regards,
-drc