Re: Next steps

Hi Margaret,

Agree with your comments (for example your point about security is section 4
of the charter), in general, but reading the charter I still don't think
there is any place where is said that we should have proceed in serial-mode.
Should we appeal that decision ? May be I'm wrong, so somebody can provide a
prove that this has been approved by the WG ?

Same with the rationale being followed to decide (by the WG) that no more
documents are accepted as WG items, and then some are now accepted and not
some others. Again, appeal ?

By the way, we the "Euro6IX" folks (including the 8 bigger European Telcos),
have proposed several documents, including operational security implications
of IPv6. This is fully within the charter, and is being ignored as a WG
item. Again, should we appeal ?

Also the same folks proposed some works regarding operational transition
issues, like the auto-discovery of the TEP. This work was even backed-up by
the request of the chairs. Still not even suggested to be WG item, so I ask
now for it. If nobody objects in 2 days, as has been done with the other
documents, clearly is accepted. Right ? Fair enough ?

Now, looking at the charter
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/v6ops-charter.html):

1. Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
  operational or security issues with the IPv4/IPv6 Internet, and
  determine solutions or workarounds to those issues.  This includes
  identifying standards work that is needed in other IETF WGs or
  areas and working with those groups/areas to begin appropriate
  work.  These issues will be documented in Informational or BCP
  RFCs, or in Internet-Drafts.

-> Some (not to say all) of the stalled work (the one not being accepted as
WG item), is within this section. This is clearly the case for the
transitions related documents and also for those related to security.

-> Furthermore, the same is supported by:

6. Identify open operational or security issues with the deployment
  scenarios documented in (5) and fully document those open
  issues in Internet-Drafts or Informational RFCs.  Work to find
  workarounds or solutions to basic, IP-level operational
  or security issues that can be solved using widely-applicable
  transition mechanisms, such as dual-stack, tunneling or
  translation.

-> Now can tell me, where it says something about the serial-mode ? If not,
please demonstrate that the decision is done by the WG and is fair. Same for
why only a few documents are being proposed as WG items ?

So in my opinion, what we should do (in PARALLEL mode whenever possible):

1) Correct the previous mistakes with decisions that aren't backed up by the
WG, even appeal them if required (this includes serial-mode work and unfair
acceptance of WG items).

2) Continue with the scenarios/analysis.

3) Continue with the operational issues regarding facilitating the
transition. Some already identified and with live documents. Others may need
new work. Do we have the adequate transition mechanisms to cover all the
scenario/analysis ?, what about 6in6, 6in4, 6inudp, others ? What about the
solutions (protocols, new/existing, changes to existing) for zeroconf in
3GPP, or in other networks ?

4) Continue with the operational issues regarding IPv6 security
implications, of both only IPv6 and IPv4/IPv6 networks. This may still need
some more work, some new documents, etc., as those existing may be not
enough.

5) Continue with whatever other operational issues may be required to work
on. Somebody can point out to some specific issues here ?

6) Is the applications work completed (not an expert here). Somebody feel
something else is missing ?

7) Anything missing regarding DNS operation ? SMTP, SIP, other protocols ?

8) Should any of the operational issues fall into the scope of another area
or WG for developing a new standard ? Or are we just describing the issues
and providing guidelines of how existing protocols can solve it ?

We will need probably to define concrete milestones, I guess may need
re-chartering with the consensus of the WG. And if something is not clearly
defined in the actual WG charter (for example if the interpretation of the
charter is not the same for the WG, overall), then we also need to
re-charter.

My position is that if we made a mistake with the charter, and we ignored it
so much time, now, we can't reject work because that, unless there is a WG
general consensus and no objections.

Probably I'm missing a lot of extra issues, possibilities, and so on, so
let's hope the rest of the WG can speak up !

Regards,
Jordi