Re: elmo-use-database?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM, David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
> At Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:34:03 -0500,
> Per B. Sederberg wrote:
>>
>> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
>> At Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:12:02 -0500,
>> David Abrahams wrote:

>> Yes, that's the main problem with the setup.  I decided that I only
>> needed to sync my All Mail every 15min, so that drastically cut down
>> on the wasted battery.  Also, if you are willing to use the devel
>> version of offlineimap there are a number of great features added in
>> that allow you to only pay attention to a specified date range when
>> syncing, which I've heard can greatly increase sync times (I don't use
>> it yet.)

>> > ...but I never tried that particular function.  And checking its docs, I
>> > never saw the optional "threads" argument to mairix-search before.  So
>> > maybe I need to go back to trying mairix.
>> >

>> Yes, mairix-search-thread-this-article is pretty much the best search
>> function available.  I use it all the time.
>
> Okay, this is pretty great.  I have it working under Gnus with
> nnmairix and a server-side search:
>
>  ssh my.mail.server bin/update-mairixdb \; mairix
>
> This populates a special Maildir folder on the server with symlinks to
> the messages found in the index, and then visits that folder.
> Brilliant!
>
> Now, I'd like to do something similar with WL.  Of course I understand
> that I can run mairix locally, but then I need to make sure my local
> cache of the message archives are up-to-date.  Suppose I want to do
> this all on the server?

I use mairix.el (I think from here http://randomsample.de/mairix.el).
It looks like you can customize the mairix command, which means that
you could replace mairix with your command above and it should work
like you want (performing the server-side mairix call).  I still
prefer the local version b/c I like to be able to search on my laptop
when not connected to the internets.

You can look at the bottom of this (very helpful) config for how to
set up mairix in your .wl file:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/hgw-init-wl.el

Best,
Per