Re: elmo-use-database?

At Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:57:13 -0800, Erik Hetzner wrote:

> This is wonderful! I use dovecot as my IMAP server, with custom flags
> to label messages, and this greatly speeds up my updates.

If you have recent dovecot (>=1.2), try esearch feature from more-wl,
it speed ups things drastically.

> I have added it to a new Wanderlust FAQ:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WlFaq
>
> PS: All this talk of offlineimap has raised a question in my mind. In
> my experience, IMAP in Wanderlust is significantly faster than direct
> Maildir support. Is this not the experience of others? I suppose this
> is dependent on filesystem, etc., but it has certainly been my
> experience that WL with a 20k+ message folder is unusable using
> Maildir, but just slow using IMAP.

I don't know how elmo (Elisp Library for Message Orchestration, wl
uses it) works with maildir, but elmo cache itself looks like
maildir. Perhaps, directory scanning for takes a lot of time on some
filesystems.
--
wbr, Vitaly