Re: elmo-use-database?

At Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:15:45 +0100,
Vitaly Mayatskikh wrote:

> At Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:11:47 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> > > Press `V', specify search filter, enjoy :)
> >
> > Okay, nifty.  Fast, too, even on the server, unless searching bodies!
> > But how would I use this to find just the messages in the same thread
> > as the one I'm viewing?
>
> This is "usual" search.

You mean `V' is the usual search, I take it.

Incidentally, I am starting to think that the lack of an accessible
English-language users' guide to Wanderlust (one that explains things
like "`V' is how you search") and complexity of installation are
costing WL legions of users.  I'm sure I would have been using it for
years in lieu of Gnus otherwise—it takes a little while before you
realize that despite the best efforts of the Gnus team, their
"friendly" documentation isn't accessible because of system
complexity.  If I can learn enough to become comfortable with WL, I'd
like to start such a document.

> It doesn't do searches in another folders, gzipped archives,
> etc. Theoretically, it is possible to search for parent msg-id in
> all elmo db and switch to the folder, where parent msg has been
> found.

I think I want to create a virtual folder that contains the thread
across all folders it's in, rather than switch to a particular folder.

Anyway, the key issue is how to go from theory to practice.  I am
comfortable with elisp but don't know any WL internals (yet).  Any
starting hints?

> Cross-folder search in opposite direction is also possible.

What does "opposite direction" mean in this context?

> > So, IIUC, occasionally using another mail client will reduce but not
> > eliminate the benefit of your patches?
>
> No, it will not eliminate benefit completely.

Awesome.

> > That would be great, thank you.
>
> I'm not sure how many people use more-wl. I'll appreciate if
> volunteers will test it a bit and report any regressions.

I'll give it a shot, thank you.

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing