Re: elmo-use-database?

At Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:21:04 +0100,
Vitaly Mayatskikh wrote:

> At Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:44:08 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> > If I can learn enough to become comfortable with WL, I'd
> > like to start such a document.
>
> Yes, documentation is a problem. However, this task is for native
> english speaker ;)

...which is why I'm talking about starting the project myself.

> > Anyway, the key issue is how to go from theory to practice.  I am
> > comfortable with elisp but don't know any WL internals (yet).  Any
> > starting hints?
>
> I have no any special methodology. Usually, just typing C-h k V (for
> example, V) and looking how associated function works.

That's my usual method, too; I was just thinking maybe you knew about
particular functions or internal data structures (e.g. the message db)
that I'd want to know about for this job.

> Sources are well structured, it is easy to find and understand
> needed piece of code.

Well, /that's/ nice.

I still find them a bit difficult at times because, e.g., nothing in
the comments or docstrings would lead you to think there was a
difference between wl-summary-down and wl-summary-next.  Anyway,
that's enough complaining from me; let me be useful: if I have
documentation patches as I go along, where should I send them so they
have a chance of being incorporated upstream?

> > > Cross-folder search in opposite direction is also possible.
> >
> > What does "opposite direction" mean in this context?
>
> Forward direction :) If there's reply in other folder, it is possible
> to find it in elmo db and jump to this folder (or link it to virtual
> folder).

Oh, of course, yeah.

Well, it looks like I have my XMas vacation projects lined up for me!

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing